Tuesday, March 17, 2009

5 months down, 1 to go!

Today marks 5 months since the boys moved into our house. 5 months and 1 day ago I was a ball of emotions. I was excited, nervous, worried, scared...you name it and I think I felt it that week! I kept wondering if we were doing the right thing, how are lives were going to change, how the boys would adjust. Then Friday Oct. 17th came and that afternoon our two boys walked into our house, just like they had done the past 8 Friday evenings, ready to be in their bedrooms, in their beds, playing with their toys and pets and being at our house. They never blinked an eye as all of their belongs came with them, as we put all their clothes away in their dressers and as we found places for more of their toys. They just knew they were home! 
The State of Ohio says that children placed in a home for adoption must be living there for 6 months before the paperwork can be filed to finalize their adoption. I believe this to keep the number of disrupted adoptions down. Someone must think that 6 months is ample amount of time for everyone to see true colors! We knew about this 6 month waiting period when the boys moved in. We weren't happy about it since we knew we wanted to adopt the boys long before they moved in but it is just one hurdle you have to jump! In October, 6 months seemed like it would take forever to get here. Then in February, Billy and I went and met with our adoption lawyer to start the process, and he said that in the beginning of April we would get back together to finish up the paperwork. At that time, the beginning of April seemed like it was so far off! I can't believe how quickly it is approaching! 
Billy and I will be so excited when we find out the date of our court hearing. We will be happy to have the boys legally be ours forever. We have started to talk to "K" about how his name will change when he is finally stuck with us forever. He seems really excited about it. I don't know how much of the whole adoption idea he understands but we tell him enough to help him understand what is going on. Both the boys know they are loved so much by so many people and that seems to be enough for them! 

1 comment:

Susi said...

Rock on!! I can't believe it is almost 6 months! It feels like they have been with you and Billy and the rest of our family forever. We shall throw a party :) Maybe I should come visit ;)